The BMW 3 Series (E36) Service Manual: 1992-1998is a comprehensive, single source of service information and specifications specifically for E36 platform BMW 3 Series models from 1992 to 1998.
Bentley service manuals provide the highest level of clarity and completeness for all service and repair procedures. Enthusiasts, do-it-yourselfers, and professional technicians will appreciate the quality of photos and illustrations, theory of operation, and accurate step-by-step instructions. If you’re looking for better understanding of your E36 BMW, look no further than Bentley.
E36 models and engines covered in this BMW repair manual:
(M42 – 1.8 liter engine)
(M44 – 1.9 liter engine, OBD II)
(M52 – 2.5 liter engine, OBD II)
(M50 – 2.5 liter engine)
(M52 – 2.8 liter engine, OBDII)
(S50US – 3.0 liter engine)
(S52US – 3.2 liter engine, OBD II)
Manual (remove, install, external service)
- Getrag S5D 250 G
- Getrag S5D 200 G
- ZF S5D 310 Z
- ZF S5D 320 Z
Automatic (remove, install, external service)
- A4S 270 R
- A4S 310 R
- A5S 310 Z
- Maintenance procedures from brake fluid changes to resetting the Service Indicator. This manual tells you what to do and how and when to do it.
- Engine and cylinder head service, repair, and reconditioning, including camshaft timing chain setup and adjustment.
- Information for specific BMW 3 Series driveability problems, including explanation of engine management systems and OBD (On-Board Diagnostics).
- Theory of operation and repair information for DISA (Dual Resonance Intake System) on 4-cylinder engines and VANOS (Variable Valve Timing) on 6-cylinder engines.
- Drivetrain maintenance, troubleshooting, adjustment and repair, including hydraulic clutch, gearshift linkage, and driveshaft.
- Heating and air conditioning repair, including A/C component replacement.
- Body adjustments and repairs, including convertible top replacement and adjustment.
- Wiring schematics for all circuits, including power distribution, grounds, and component location illustrations and photos.
Additional technical content
For additional technical content for the 1992 through 1998 BMW 3 Series models, visit our online technical library by clicking below.