The BMW 5 Series (E34) Service Manual: 1989-1995is a comprehensive, single source of service information and specifications specifically for BMW 5 Series from 1989 to 1995. The aim throughout this manual has been simplicity, clarity and completeness, with practical explanations, step-by-step procedures and accurate specifications. Whether youre a professional or a do-it-yourself BMW owner, this manual will help you understand, care for and repair your E34 5 Series.
Though the do-it-yourself BMW owner will find this manual indispensable as a source of detailed maintenance and repair information, the BMW owner who has no intention of working on his or her car will find that reading and owning this manual will make it possible to discuss repairs more intelligently with a professional technician.
Models and engines covered:
- 525i (M20 with DME 1.3) 1989-1990
- 525i (M50 with DME 3.1) 1991-1992
- 525i (M50TU/VANOS with DME 3.3.1) 1993-1995
- 530i (M60 with DME 3.3) 1994-1995
- 535i (M30 with DME 1.3) 1989-1993
- 540i (M60 with DME 3.3) 1994-1995
Manual (remove, install, external service)
- Getrag 260/5 and 260/6
- Getrag S5D 250G
- Getrag S6S 560G
Automatic (remove, install, external service)
- ZF 4HP22/EH
- A4S 310R (THM-R1)
- ZF A5S 310Z
- ZF A5S 560Z
- Maintenance procedures from brake fluid changes to resetting the Service Indicator. This manual tells you what to do, how and when to do it, and why its important.
- Engine and cylinder head service, repair and reconditioning, including M50 and M60 timing chain setup and adjustment.
- Extensive engine management information for specific BMW 5-Series driveability problems, including reading Check Engine light fault codes.
- Transmission maintenance, troubleshooting, adjustment and repair, including hydraulic clutch, gearshift linkage, and driveshaft.
- Body adjustments and repairs, including sedan sunroof removal and adjustment.
- Heating and air conditioning repair, including A/C micro-filter and A/C component replacement.
- Wiring schematics for all circuits, including power distribution, grounds, and component locations.
- Comprehensive BMW factory tolerances, wear limits, adjustments, and tightening torques that you’ve come to expect from Bentley manuals.
Additional technical content
For additional technical content for the 1989 through 1995 BMW 5 Series models, visit our online technical library by clicking below.