Oblivious to the sound of chalk scratching on blackboard, Nicky stared wide eyed into the pages of the atlas. The Mediterranean landscape beckoned, and it occurred to her that Egypt – land of mystery, Bedouin tents and Turkish delight – didn’t seem very far away at all …
Thirty years later and determined to help Willow Foundation, Nicky decided it was the perfect time for a sponsored run with a difference: a never-been-done-before trek of 11,063km in under 40 days, driving all the way to the Great Pyramid and back in a 50 year old Mini – ten countries, three continents …
A lone expedition, it would undoubtedly be an epic and arduous drive, without a support crew, enduring potholes, sandstorms and occasional wayward camels; but it would also be an incredible adventure, with every mile the car covered helping children devastated by life threatening disease.
This book follows Nicky’s journey from preparing the Mini, to crossing the scorching sands of North Africa and the Middle East, all the way to the exhaustion and sheer elation of elation of finishing back at Hatfield House again. An inspiring and informative read.
• A unique sponsored run through ten countries and three continents
• Driving a 50-year-old car 11,063km in 37 days
• Helping provide special days for desperately ill young people
• The transformation of a barn find into a long-distance champion
• Classic Mini drives to Asia-Minor – a real Mini adventure
• How to plot and plan an independent route or trek
• Documentation and visas – what’s needed & who to contact
• The hurdles faced when applying for sponsorship
• Practical tips on home restoration of a classic car
• Stately home and back again … via the Great Pyramids