Recounting a time of unparalleled access to the highest level of motor-racing, this is an informal, personal record of the people, the cars, and the events from that golden era, gloriously illustrated with many previously unpublished photographs.
Now, a generation later, many of the cars and drivers shown here in their heyday can be found appearing at historic race meetings, drawing crowds approaching the size of those seen at modern Formula One, touring car, and motorcycle events.
The author’s personal recollections are complemented by contributions from one of the foremost racing mechanics of his day, Bob Dance. A unique combination, and a unique book.
• Over 400 previously unpublished photographs
• Covers a period of 10 years
• Top level British international races
• Coverage of international races at Nurburgring, Spa, and Zolder
• Many informal pictures of top-line drivers and team personnel in period
• Follows the careers of a number of well known drivers
• Shows the development of racing car technology
• Reveals how accessibility to motorsport has changed
• Shows how fashions and society have changed in respect of motor-racing
• All seen from an enthusiasts perspective