There are lots of books about the classic BMW Boxers; their history, performance, lineage, and the minutiae of its specification. But none of them concentrate entirely on telling you what to look for when buying one secondhand. That’s what this book is about – it is a straightforward, practical guide to buying a used Boxer twin. It doesn’t list all the correct colour combinations for each year or analyse the bike’s design philosophy – there are excellent books listed at the end of this one that do all of that – but it will help you avoid buying a dud. Point by point, it takes the reader through everything that needs looking at when buying a Boxer, plus spares prices, which is the best model to buy for your needs, and a look at auctions, restorations and paperwork.
The last of the ‘classic’ air-cooled Boxer twins, these bikes are now collector’s items, and many have been saved, restored and continue to be ridden – this book tells the reader how to be part of the Boxer’s ongoing story.
• Detailed, step by step guide – points to look for
• The reality of living with a Norton Commando
• Relative value of each model
• Spares prices
• Restore, or pay more to start with?
• Useful contacts – clubs, parts suppliers, restorers
• Problems that arise with lack of use
• Auction guide
• Facts & figures
• No-nonsense, straightforward guide to buying a Commando